01 July 2011

Perth-tastic

I wasn't sure what to think upon arriving in Perth. There is that whole tagline of "world's most remote capital city" and "cashed up bogans" (wealthy mining types who make $150,000 a year operating a forklift at a mine and don't know what to do with all that cash). Still, it was on a west coast and I have a certain affection for west coasts of continents.

We arrived at our hotel that I got at bargain basement prices thanks to the Entertainment book. Our view was...spectacular!



After dropping Aditi so she could continue writing copy, I headed into the city (a long drive, I was told by locals). 15 minutes later I was downtown picking up catering, inspecting our conference venue, and admiring the charming, quaint, yet Manhattan-esque central business district. Adorable churches re nestled in-between tall skyscrapers, tram lines whizzed down the center of main street, pedestrian malls were bustling, pubs had cool names like The Swedish Hotel, The Usual, and Belgian Beer Cafe (all amazing).


After I had finished running errands I followed the spectacular coastline all the way back to our hotel where I found the above windsurfer taking in some dawn waves before watching the sun set over the ocean - something I haven't seen in a very long time - in a brilliant show of reds, oranges, and yellows.




Post sundown we whizzed to Freemantle on this, our only free evening, to sip the micro-brew of the world famous bar and restaurant, Little Creatures. This place was AWESOME. Microbrewery attached, cool music, delicious food, multi-level dining, and that funky fabulous LA, San Fran, California vibe all around.



So then, what's the verdict on Perth? It's the little city that could. The best of both worlds ,really. Awesome city center, incredible coastline, and fantastic bars and restaurants yet no traffic, no pollution, and no people or buildings 20 minutes in any direction. I love it. LOVE IT.

- Posted using BlogPress from my KyPad

Read more at kyletaylor.com

Location:Perth, WA, Australia

No comments: